In 1981, Peters won the Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning. His work frequently appears in such publications as Newsweek, Time, U.S. News & World Report and The New Republic. He is a popular lecturer and makes appearances at editor and publisher conventions, on the college lecture circuit and before political groups.
Mike Peters is recognized as one of our nation's most prominent editorial cartoonists for his outstanding and provocative work at the Dayton Daily News. Peters' political cartoons are syndicated to hundreds of newspapers worldwide. His commentary is especially noted for his deft incorporation of humor. His work frequently appears in such publications as Newsweek, Time, U.S. News & World Report and The New Republic.
Peters' political cartoon books include "The Nixon Chronicles" (1976), "Clones," "You Idiot," "I Said Clones" (1978), "Win One for the Geezer" (1982), "The World of Cartooning with Mike Peters: How Caricatures Develop" (1985), "The Gang of Eight" (1985), "On the Brink" (1987) and "Happy Days Are Here Again" (1991).
Peters is particularly proud of his animated editorial cartoons "Peters Postscripts," which frequently appeared on NBC's Nightly News, marking the first time animated editorial cartoons were shown regularly on a prime-time, national, network news program.
In addition to winning the Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning, Peters has garnered praise and won numerous awards, including:
- Sigma Delta Chi Distinguished Award for political cartooning
- Eight Ohio Associated Press Awards
- Two Overseas Press Citations
- Overseas Press Award
- Two Robert F. Kennedy Awards
- Two Cleveland Press Awards
- Two Cincinnati Press Awards
- Headliner Award
- Best of Cox Newspapers Award
Cartooning Industry Awards
- Two National Cartoonists Society's Award for Editorial Cartooning
- National Cartoonists Society's Reuben Award for Cartoonist of the Year
- WICI Man of the Year
- National Planned Parenthood for "Maggie"
- Esquires Top 40 Achievers
- Humane Society Man of the Year
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Washington University
- WICI Headliner Award
- The Ohio Governors Award
- ACLU Man of the Year
- Honorary Doctorate from the University of Dayton
- St. Louis Hall of Fame