He is also a theme park attraction at Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Japan. Popeye has attracted the attention of clever fashion licensees worldwide and is emerging as an iconic fashion presence in the United Kingdom, Spain, Italy, Germany, Benelux, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Some of the brands that have made Popeye-inspred clothing are Dolce&Gabbana, H&M, Benetton, Gap, Miss Sixty and Zara. Popeye’s growing brand empire includes apparel, accessories, food products, publishing, DVDs and mobile games.
- One of the top-selling character food brands with canned and fresh spinach
- Theme park presence in Florida and Japan
- Major young men’s apparel presence
- Partnerships with Converse and Bamford Watch Department.
- Publishing deals with Fantagraphics and IDW Publishing (NEW Popeye comic books)
Recent licensing programs include:
- King Features concluded a deal with fashion designers Dolce & Gabbana for a Popeye apparel collection for Spring/Summer 2012 under the D&G brand. T-shirts, sweatshirt and tank tops for adults and kids will be available in boutiques and high-end department stores worldwide from March 2012.
- Through a unique collaboration with King Features Syndicate and fashion innovator Darren Romanelli, known for his popular fashion brand Dr. Romanelli (DRx), Beetle Bailey and Popeye served as the inspiration behind an exclusive Americana and military-infused collection for men and boys. Making its debut nationwide at 34 Bloomingdale’s stores and online at Bloomingdales.com, the limited-edition merchandise featured high-end apparel, accessories, and collectible items from renowned brands including Converse, Medicom, Psycho Bunny, Junk Food Clothing and Altru, among others.
- Popeye’s most powerful association, and King Features’ longest continually licensed product is spinach. Popeye has been credited with persuading millions of children to be “strong to the finish” by eating their spinach. Allen Canning has distributed Popeye brand spinach since 1950. River Ranch Fresh Foods markets Popeye® Fresh!, a complete line of nationally distributed spinach items in the United States and Canada, with numerous different Popeye® items, including bagged spinach and salads and snacking vegetables.
- H&M has continued to market ranges of Popeye-branded menswear, joining a high-profile list of fashion licensees and retailers who have carried Popeye , including Benetton, Gap, Miss Sixty and Zara.
- Popeye Supplements Canada is the leading sports nutrition retailer in Canada with 75 stores across the country. The successful chain is planning to expand its reach into the American market.
- Fantagraphics has been publishing a multivolume series of hardcover anthologies collecting the complete run of Thimble Theatre comic strips featuring Popeye.